In a data-driven world, it’s not enough just to be able to analyse your data: you need to trust it and you need to manage it
And to do that efficiently and effectively, you need data governance.
Data governance is about having a coordinated approach to how you acquire, manage and store data and having in place the people, practices and processes to do so.
The value of data governance.
Having a data governance framework helps your organisation more easily comply with regulations such as the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (applicable even post-Brexit) and the US Sarbanes-Oxley Act (designed to protect investors from fraudulent accounting activities).
But it also makes your business more productive and better positioned to take advantage of new opportunities by being able to trust the data you use. It also helps you answer questions like “Which system do I go to for the definitive answer to my urgent, important question? Which system holds the ‘golden truth’?”
Implementing a data governance framework isn't something you can do in an instantand it shouldn’t be an exercise you undertake without clear goals and a plan to achieve them.
that’s where we come in.
Here are some of the things that we can help you achieve.
- Define your Data Governance framework so that you can harmonise data and processes
- Establish a Data Governance Council to ensure data standards and processes are adopted
- Act as your Change Manager, working with the Data Governance Council to ensure strategic organisation-wide data standards are understood, adopted and upheld
- Clarify accountability for data ownership, definitions and quality throughout the organisation
- Define requirements and then work with your IT team to implement appropriate data governance management tools
- Ensure transparency in business processes by promoting the use of shared data definitions while reconciling inconsistent and redundant information
- Manage key technical data governance activities such as the establishment of enterprise data definitions, business rules for enterprise data transformations and policies/standards for data usage
- Identify and work with data stewards, business and team leaders and business units to gather data quality rules and definitions that support your organisation’s strategies
- Design and run user training sessions
- Define common metrics and a measurement process to ensure data standards are implemented in all regions
A game changer.
Whilst a lot of this may sound technical and - dare we say - a bit boring, it's actually going to be more and more important as your organisation acquires and uses ever-increasing volumes and variety of data to run and grow the business. And better yet, it’ll save you time and money sooner than you think.
Get in touch today to see how we can help you, whether you’re in the middle of your data governance expedition or are just about to start thinking about it.